Thursday, October 14, 2010

Slabs are Fab....


Have you seen any slabs that you you think are fab??? Here's what I did with mine!
I seem to have developed a love affair with slabs...not sure what sent me off in this direction, but I'm guessing it was a shopping trip where I casually looked at the jewelry cases. Several designers are using agate slabs this fall and so I had to try my hand at a couple of designs of my own. Love the size, love the shapes and love the variety--of color, veining and the edges of some of the stones....so at the Intergem show I had to try some....on etsy I had to buy some more. I'm not really into the dyed pieces I've seen in fuschia's and purples and turquoise, but I do love the natural colors and this set was just irresistable. Deep brown translucent slabs that look like really rich brown smokey quartz with gorgeous veining and even more wonderful edges---copper colored green crystals, iron combined with other minerals--diopside crystals that make these simply gorgeous.
Here's the stone I chose for the centerpiece of my necklace, wirewrapped together with nicely sized 12mm 18k electroplated gold on copper chain for an elegant compliment.


Since I wanted the length to be a bit adjustable and wanted to preserve the symmetry of the design, I used goldfilled lobster claw clasps on two sides of the last slab, so that depending on how you connect them the necklace goes from 21" to 23" for your perfect length.



3 comments:

DAVS said...

beautiful, I'm impressed!:)

Pretty Things said...

Just gorgeous!!!

Rickie said...

Thank you both--I really appreciate your kind words!