Monday, July 2, 2012

The Great Experiment

While not exactly a patriotic color theme, this pendant with it's beautiful detailed colors and harmony brings to my mind the great experiment that is the United States of America with it's melting pot of cultures, all brought together---maintaining our individually, but woven together in unity.  Our founding fathers, with inspiration from our Heavenly Father, crafted a constitution giving us the opportunity to stretch ourselves as we take responsibility for our own lives--giving us liberty to do so and the opportunity for our own pursuit of happiness.

.  
Now a little about the beads in these two pieces.  These were torched by one of my all time favorite lampwork artists--Julie Wong of uglibeads.  As far as I know, she's retired from the torch now for several years.  She was making one of a kind, highly detailed, and precision perfect beads with fabulous stringer detail long before anyone else, I was aware of.  Such a perfectionist she is, and it shows in her beads.  I've held these for a long time knowing there would probably never be anymore Julie beads for me, but finally I've put them into a couple of designs that make me happy.  I value them highly,reflecting the art I consider them to be, and it won't hurt my feelings if they stay in my inventory for a long while; since to me, they are timeless works of art that gladden my soul.  Love you Julie--nobody does it better. 

And on one final notel--happy 4th of July---Independence Day---my beloved country!!!  Long may our Star Spangled Banner wave over the land of the free and the home of the brave!

3 comments:

aneri_masi said...

I have been lurking around your blog for a while, not sure why I never commented...I LOVE your work, all of it :)

Rickie said...

Thank you so much for brightening my day!

Julie Wong Sontag said...

Not sure if you are checking your blog anymore, but sure do love what you did with my beads! I'm so flattered too by the lovely comments about them. You'll be happy to know that I've come out of retirement... my beads are not exactly ready for prime-time yet, but someday soon. Miss you so much!